Microsoft 365 (September 2020)
Coaldale Christian School is committed to providing students with access to the most current and relevant ICT learning tools. Therefore, during 2020, we introduced Microsoft Office 365 (Office 365) for all staff and students to complement our existing ICT system.
Microsoft 365 is an internet-based ‘cloud’ service, delivered by Microsoft, and includes access to the most recent versions of Microsoft Office tools, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, and many more. Microsoft 365 also includes access to email via Outlook, but we are not currently using this feature. Additionally, your Microsoft 365 account includes online file storage space (OneDrive) so you can access your work on any device. These tools will help you to complete your schoolwork and collaborate on assignments and projects with your teachers, classmates, and fellow staff members. You can access these tools online, or, you can install the desktop versions of these programs for use on your home computers with the potential to provide students with access to document sharing and use of class blog facilities from school and at home. We hope that this access will eventually enable students to build skills in collaboration, critical thinking, creativity, and efficiency.
Microsoft 365 has a number of advantages that will assist student learning including:
- Your child will now have access to the latest version of Word for writing, Excel for spreadsheets, PowerPoint for presentations, and OneNote for organization and note-taking.
- Students have the ability to share/collaborate and edit work from school or home on any device.
- Working in the ‘cloud’ avoids work being lost as it is available on any device and is always backed up.
- 1TB of storage per student is provided free of charge.
- Microsoft Office 2021 can be installed on up to 5 home devices - personal Mac or Windows PC, iPad, iPod, or Android mobile devices (families with more than one child will have multiple licenses). This allows students to use any device at home without families having to worry about purchasing additional software.
The Microsoft 365 subscription is offered to every student free of charge and lasts for as long as your child is a student at Coaldale Christian School.
Each student has a unique username and password. This is essential to download Microsoft 365 onto home devices. Instructions for how to do this are available on our website. Teachers have a record of their students’ passwords.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Mr. A Diek